Monday, September 7, 2009

Baking and Cooking Substitutes

I never have everything I need on hand, so when cooking and baking I use a lot of substitutes. Here is a list of common substitutes. Print it off and keep it handy in the kitchen:

1 tablespoon baking powder = 1/4 teaspoon baking soda + 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar

1 cup sugar = 1 3/4 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)

1 ounce baking chocolate = 3 tablespoons cocoa + 1 tablespoon melted butter

1 tablespoon cornstarch = 2 tablespoons flour (for thickening only)

1 cup corn syrup = 1 1/4 cups sugar + 1/4 cup water. Boil to dissolve sugar.

1 cup honey = 1 1/4 cups sugar + 1/3 cup liquid (ex. milk if used in recipe). Boil to dissolve sugar.

1 cup whole milk = 1 cup skim milk + 2 tablespoons melted butter

1 cup sour cream = 3/4 cup plain whole yogurt plus 1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup buttermilk or yogurt = 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar (let sit 5 minutes)

1 cup butter = 7/8 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup shortening

1 cup mayo = 1 cup whole sour cream or yogurt

1 teaspoon lemon juice = 1/2 teaspoon vinegar

1 small onion = 1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1 clove garlic = 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt or 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder

1 cup ketchup = 1 cup tomato sauce + 4 tablespoons sugar + 2 tablespoons vinegar

1 jalapeno pepper = 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 cup broth = 1 bouillon cube

1 tablespoon fresh herbs = 1 teaspoon dried herbs

1 cup fresh berries = 8 ounces frozen berries

1 cup red wine = 1 cup grape or cranberry juice + 1 tablespoon vinegar

Ricotta cheese = cottage cheese

Adapted from Real Simple Solutions by Amanda Hinnant

post signature

2 comments:

Beth E. said...

Thanks so much for the list...I'll keep a copy of it in my kitchen!

Hope you are doing well. I've been thinking about you!

Blessings,
Beth

Aggie said...

I just found your blog at CSAHM and stopped by for a visit.

I am printing out this list because it is so helpful. I am always trying to figure out what I can substitute for things that I am out of.

Thanks for the tips!