Thursday, August 20, 2009

Peanut Free School Lunches

Our school is peanut-free. That means packing lunches is a bit harder than it could be. However with some ingenuity, I can generally come up with something good. I like to buy ready made snacks in the grocery store though, so I need to be savvy about ingredient lists. I looked up what other names peanuts can be listed under. Health Canada reports these:

Arachide

Arachis oil

Beer nuts

Cacahou├Ęte/cacahouette/cacahu├Ęte

Goober nuts, goober peas

Ground nuts

Kernels

Mandelonas, Nu-Nuts™

Nut meats

Valencias

Be aware! And happy snacking! :-)

post signature

3 comments:

Beth E. said...

Good grief...who knew?! Thanks for the post. It's great information, especially for those with peanut allergies.

Have a great weekend!

Down Comforter said...

We have a little boy in my son's class with a peanut allergy as well. My son wanted to know if he could just take a jelly sandwich!

Spaceofgrace said...

That's funny... my kids eat jam sandwiches all the time! :-)