Monday, June 1, 2009

Bluebells, Cockelshells, Coral Bells in a row...

Dig deep and divide... that's what I'm going to try and do this week. I have a beautiful small garden that the previous owners of my lovely abode planted years ago. I haven't done much to it really, so pretty it was. Until this year, I went out and did my weeding to discover that "Oh boy, these perennials are getting huge!" I'm a very "green gardener" and by this I mean that I am usually green with envy over the gardens of my friends who know what they are doing! lol.

So a dear friend of mine suggested that I "dig deep and divide" the perennials, and of course, share those lovely plants of mine. I had remarked to her earlier in the season that I didn't need to buy any flowers because there were already some in my garden. I scratched my head when she started laughing. Now that I've pulled the weeds, I know why. :) So off I go to the garden centre (I'm Canadian, we spell it CENTRE) to buy colourful (with a U) annuals and some mulch.

Wish me luck.

Oh, and another bonus this year... the previous homeowners also dug us a lovely veggie garden that I just had to till and plant. The tilling was fun. Whoever said that gardening isn't good exercise? Now we have tomatoes, lettuce, cucmbers, broccoli, strawberries, coriander and marigolds (to keep the critters away). This is my second veggie garden and I've done some reading too so I don't feel AS green. :) A tip for you broccoli growers.. don't be discouraged if the bunnies bite the heads off your plants when they are young (they love baby broccoli plants). This happened to me and they grew anyway, strong and very very bountiful.

Who else is gardening this summer?

You know what I would love? A special part of my garden dedicated to raspberry bushes. I might need some more land for that though.

Share with me your tips and what you are planting! Fun :)

Blessings,

post signature

6 comments:

Angie said...

It's a great problem isn't it? I am going to be spreading some compost around my flowers so hopefully I will have to do the same thing! Have fun!

Jonas said...

Dig deep and divide! Thanks for sharing. Hey, in case you have a cool business idea I'd say just give it a try.

Kelli said...

Most of the plants/bulbs that I have were given to me by a kind soul who decided to divide. I am so grateful to these people who shared of their bounty so that the beauty lives on.

Shona Christine said...

Just popping up to say we have a garden - we're growing tomatoes, squash, beans and okra. Oh, and lot's of grass - I can't seem to keep it weeded out.

I also wanted to let you know you've been awarded the "One Lovely Blog Award". Come by my blog (Uncomplicated) to pick it up.

Beth E. said...

Somehow, I missed this when you originally wrote it!

I have planted lettuce, spinach, tomatoes (several varieties), red and yellow bell peppers, spaghetti squash, and cucumbers. My neighbor has planted zucchini and yellow squash. She and I will be trading vegetables back and forth!

I love to garden. It's very relaxing and a great stress release for me.

Blessings to you!

Beth E. said...

P.S. I also have several flower beds. Most of my flowers and plants are perennials, but I still plant a few annuals. I love it!