Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Photo Tip #15 Framing, Foreground and Angles (3DAYSLEFT!!!)

3 Days left in the contest! Post a picture on your blog, mention the contest, and then leave a comment on my blog letting me know where to find your pics. The winner will receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card :-). Hint.... only 1 person has entered so far so the contest odds are incredible. lol.

Photo Tip #15 Use the foreground in pictures to frame your subject, and try different angles!

This one is pretty straightforward. We've all seen pictures with a loved one standing in front of a garden or a pretty bridge. Get creative! How about putting your subject BEHIND some flowers or through an archway? Remember to keep the subject in focus, not the foreground.

I think I've mentioned this before but also try angling your camera for a twist and some impact.

Here's a hint... when shooting through a doorway or with some other element with straight lines: Try to avoid having the lines parallel to the egde of your picture, especially if it is a wall. I find that it is very difficult to get it perfectly straight and it just makes a picture look crooked. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

Some examples?

On an angle:

Through an archway:



Here, the grass is the foreground. Getting low to the ground and shooting uphill with produce this effect:

Try getting someone and shooting what they are looking at:

Behind a flower:


post signature

3 comments:

Christina said...

I have a question. Am I allowed to enter, even if I am a photographer? And what are the guidelines for the photo I submit?

Christina said...

Ahh now I have no idea what to enter! lol

TAMBOURINI said...

Hey, aren't you supposed to ask permission from your "model"? Please see my photo contest submission by clicking on my blog. Thank you!