Monday, March 16, 2009

Recipes and How do you peel a potato?

I made a yummy recipe the other day. I often throw things together to create new dishes - something I was not able to do many years ago (no one would have appreciated it then - so new to cooking was I).

Creamy Chicken
Chicken breast, cooked and cubed
Sauteed mushrooms and onions
2 cans Campbells Cream of Chicken Soup
3/4 cup Grated cheddar cheese
Mix all ingredients and stir in a pan until heated through. Yum!

served with Butter Garlic Veggies
2 turnips
2 carrots
1 green zucchini
1 head of cauliflower
3/4 cup of butter
garlic (either fresh or powder) to taste
Peel and slice/chop all veggies. Sautee ingredients in a pan until veggies are crisp-tender.

I served these with mashed potatoes. My kids ate it all, even the turnips, which they couldn't really taste (hehe), and I even saw a few of the veggies slide down my hubby's gullet! Wow.

So the meal was a success, and it didn't take too long to prepare, but now I post a question to YOU, my fellow moms and chefs:

How do YOU peel a potato??

I have a little hand peeler... the kind where the sharp edge rests between my thumb and index finger. Many times I grate my poor nails or fingers while clumsily holding a wet potato. I see many food processors and different types of graters on the market BUT guess what? I'm cheap. :) I want the inside scoop on what works before I take the plunge.

So comment or email me.... how do YOU peel a potato?

2 comments:

Beth E. said...

I use a potato peeler by Rada...I love it! I hold the potato from underneath, and I'm able to get the job done in no time.

I was thinking of you yesterday, wondering when we'd hear from you again...I've missed you! How's school?

BTW...I love the new profile pic! You're gorgeous! :o)

kathy said...

My brother-in-law makes mashed potatoes with red potatoes and leaves the skins on - they are sooooo good - we have him bring these every Thanksgiving.

I watched an episode of Alton Brown where he boiled for 15 minutes, dropped them in to ice water and then picked them up and just wiped the skins off - talk about a great way to peel as close to the skin as possible

Here is a video of Marian from Gilligan's Island doing this technique - I think Alton used a towel to where he put the potato in and rubbed it all off - however, I wouldn't want the mess in the towel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4W0qIPJmoo