Friday, January 2, 2009

Fab Free Toddler Toy and a new recipe!

I love free things. And this one is awesome. My babes all loved it, and my 18 month old will sit for long period of time with this toy, giggling away, all proud of himself (when he can get it away from his older brothers!). I first saw one at one of those educational playtime drop-in centres. Essentially, its a giant piggy bank! Perfect for helping little ones learn those motor skills.

All you need is a clean yogurt tub and a collection of frozen juice container lids (the metal kind with the rounded edges (no possible way to get cut on these - do NOT use ones you've opened with a can opener (as if I had to tell you)). Cut a long slit in the yogurt container lid, wide and thick enough to fit the lids in, and voila! You're done! Your toddler (when he can get it away from the older children) will have tons of fun filling the container with his giant "coins" and then emptying them out. I love this thing!

Ok, for the recipe. I'm trying to lose the weight I gained after having lost the baby weight... LOL. Yes, I let it creep back on. So I am cooking SIMPLE, FAST, YUMMY, and HEALTHY recipes. It's really been helping my 3 year old with his constipation too. Anyway, this one is a winner (my kids asked for seconds)!

Ham and Black Bean Soup

1 can black (turtle) beans drained (540 mL)
1 tbs vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves minced (or 3 spoons of minced garlic in a jar)
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked ham (chopped)
1 celery stalk chopped
1 tsp each of dried thyme, oregano and parsley
4 cups beef broth or stock
3 tbs flour

In a large pot, on medium-low heat, fry onion, garlic and celery in vegetable oil until onions are semi-transparent. Add ham, beans, beef broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and then return to medium heat. In a small cup, mix flour with enough water to make smooth (about 1/4 cup). Add to soup. Stir until slightly thickened. Serve and enjoy!

So honestly, this flavourful soup took about 10 minutes to make. It's only about 300 calories for a decent size bowl and less than 10 g of fat. Also a good source of Niacin and Iron, an excellent source of Thiamin, and you're getting 6 g of fibre. Like I said, a winner!

I've got lots more to blog about but I'll let you "stew" on that for a while - hahahahha - groan. I know, the snow is seeking into my brain. :-)

3 comments:

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

What a fun idea!! I will have to try that - I have plenty yogurt tubs - its the juice lids I will have to improvise....

Beth E. said...

That's a great toy idea! Hmmm...it might work for my hubby, too! Gotta keep him occupied while he's recuperating! lol

That soup sounds delicious...thanks for sharing the recipe. :o)

Pasifik said...

That sounds yummy.... Thanks for the recipe...


Happy blogging,

Online Learning Games|Educational Games