Sunday, January 11, 2009

BEST frugal tip, and an AWARD!!

It's '09... do you know where your dollars are going? I've seen so many great blogs and websites devoted to being frugal and pinching a dollar (we want to save more than a dime!), and I'd like to join in the fun. I have noticed something over the last few years that I think is going to save me HUGE amounts of cash, and bring me closer to God too.

Here's my question for you. What do you spend money on that you could do another way? Let me give you an example. If you've been reading my blog, you know that I've been trying to get into freelance writing. Well, I decided that I need to get organized, and a dayplanner thingy would work great! I need a calendar, places to put printed materials, sections for different categories of "stuff", etc. You get the idea. So I went to a store and started browsing. My jaw gaped at the prices that people want to charge me for a glorified binder! No way!

So I went home, printed some calendar pages off my computer, made my own dividers, tucked some blank paper in there and voila - a dayplanner. I even have a hole punch nearby to ensure that I don't make a mess of it. Essentially, I saved money by being creative, and CONTENT with what I have.

And that's what I noticed... that we (I) spend way too much money on things I don't really need. In fact if I really think about it, there is very very little that I actually need. I have everything. The bible says that if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. I'm not saying we can't ever spend money on our pleasures, but its good to be conscious of WHY we spend money. I made a short (very short) list of why I spend: 1) necessity such as groceries, clothes, etc, and 2) comfort. Buying things is like eating chocolate. It makes me feel good temporarily, but I pay for it in the long run.

So contentment is my new goal this year. There are lots of ways to get around spending money unnecessarily - go to thrift stores, get creative, ask friends if they have extra. I bet most of us have everything that we need, if not most things that we truly want. We are very blessed.

Now: for the fun part!

Felicia over at Go Graham Go! gave me this wonderful award!!! even though I've been sooo neglectful lately (my humble apologies). Felicia, thank you so much! You guys have to check out her blog. It's delightful!


And I would like to pass it on to.....

Laurie at Conversations with a Cardinal! If you aren't already following her, go for it! I love this lady. She is so encouraging to me, and a great writer. Ask her about her poetry sometime too. :) Hugs Laurie.

Love and prayers... Rachel

3 comments:

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Rachel,
I feel so honored to be getting an award from you- THANK YOU!

Thanks, too, for the money-saving tips. We all need those right now.

Best of luck with the free-lance writing. We'll have to chat about that someday (I'm trying to do that, too).

Felicia said...

You are very welcome!!

Fun Mom said...

i just organized my office and it is expensive for little organizers!
http://momsjustwannahavefun.blogspot.com