Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm going back to school! Cool!

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

All of us have heard the question, and probably all of us have had some interesting answers at one point or another. High on my list were always TEACHER, ASTRONAUGHT, and OLYMPIC GYMNAST. I didn't have high expectations or anything. Funny... I always made sure to firmly add, "and I'm never having any kids!"

My mom is still baffled that I have 4 sons.

It wasn't because I hated children or anything, but someone mentioned to me early on about morning sickness..... ugh. I have a phobia about throwing up. I can't tell you what a joy it is when flu season comes around. :) And honestly, I only ended up with 4 because God graciously let me off the hook with puke-free pregnancies (and they look so cute and innocent before they learn to talk....).

So anyhoo. I spent my life in preparation for my huge career - got a degree, got a full time job, got a bank account, a car, a husband, two kids, and quit the workforce... FOREVER.

What??? Oh, did I forget to mention that it was also in my plan to be a devoted stay-at-home, homeschooling, mom of 4 adorable booger-nuggets who are always hungry and never without some unidentified substance beneath their fingernails and on their freshly washed church outfits? Yep, that's what I wanted. And that's what I was not prepared for.

I had no idea that interacting on a 1 to 5 year old level for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 12 months a year for several consecutive YEARS (gasp for breath) could be so....

exhausting

and rewarding

but exhausting none-the-less.

So I have a plan. I AM GOING BACK TO SCHOOL.

Yes, I have a degree... I thought I already said that. No, I'm not giving up on being an at-home-mom. No, I realize that I have a lot on my plate already. Yes, I know that I am needed at home... wait. Sigh.

That's ok. Maybe my mom won't understand (actually she does) and maybe my friends think I'm nuts (I am - so that's ok) but I am totally PSYCHED about this! I'm taking my medical transcriptionist certificate, with plans to work from home making $30 an hour typing at my computer. I do this for you guys FOR FREE!!!! I can't believe I can get paid for it!

I am no longer a homeschooling mom, and this is my plan to help pay for christian school. So prayers please! It's one night a week for two years. I gain independence (I'm a big girl now - sniff), an activity in which to use my brain, a break for one night a week from diapers and odd smells, and a greater appreciation for all the blessings that God has given me... for I know that they are all mine and ten thousand besides. I am truly blessed.

3 comments:

Beth E. said...

I think that's a totally awesome idea...you go, girl! What a wonderful way to combine being an at-home mom and earning money. I have a friend who does medical transcribing from her home...she loves it!

So, how are you feeling these days? All better now? I've been praying for you.

Merry Christmas!

My Goodness said...

Good for you! I'm sure the you've been in prayer about these huge decisions...can't wait to see where God leads you!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

I think that's great!! How wonderful to be able to find something that will allow you to work and send your kids to a school you want them to be at, and still be home.

Hope you are feeling better...((HUGS))