Saturday, November 8, 2008

Potty Training for BOYS

As requested... a post about potty training! It seems that as much as I try, I can't get away from topics that have to do with strange smells and bodily functions. Such is the life of a mom of 4 boys.

It's an interesting life I tell you.

You know how you always hear women complaining about men not putting the toilet seat down? I envy them. My 6 year old always forgets to put the seat UP. Yes. That's right. UP. So where does the pee end up? Usually all over the next poor person who doesn't look first. ewwwwwww.

There is always a silver lining though isn't there? My hubby drives me nuts at night when he "fluffs the blankets to make it more comfortable". You KNOW he dropped a bomb and is so proud of his little achievement that he wants to share it with me. So I do get a chuckle when, after one of these VERY MATURE episodes, he wanders out at night to use the potty, and his laughing cheeks discover that my 6 year old has so thoughtfully washed the seat again.

But enough about that. How do you train one of these strange primitive creatures (males) to use the facilities??? That is the question of the ages. I've heard that girls just magically "do it" around a year and a half old. DO NOT EXPECT THIS FROM YOUR LITTLE BOY. Hahahaha. Sorry. hee hee heee...

OK, here are some tips that worked for my little guys:

1. Wait until they are ready to start. This means that they can communicate well, and understand what you are trying to teach them. For mine, this was around 3 1/2 years old.

2. I don't do pull-ups because they are too much like diapers. I put them straight into underwear. As they get wet, I tell them the pee pee goes in the potty, and I put them to sit there. It doesn't take too long before they catch on.

3. Potty train in WINTER, not summer. The pants catch the pee and you can easily wash them, rather than washing the floors (not to mention the constant and ever-dignified "sniffing hunts" you have to go on to find out where they went!)

4. Buy LOTS of cheap underwear from Wal-mart or somewhere, and treat the poopy ones as disposables. I dump the turd down the toilet and toss the soiled undergotchies. I have 4 children... I don't need to be soaking and washing and bleaching all day long. Ew.

5. As much as possible, feed your child a high fibre, healthy diet. My 3rd son was sooooo hard to potty train because he struggled with constipation at one time. He remembered that poop hurt, and didn't want to go. Of course, he HAD to go so he ended up going in little bits all day long. I can't tell you how much fun that was.

6. As soon as my sons had dry diapers two mornings in a row, they graduated to night-time underwear. I bought a crib mattress pad (the kind with plastic on one side, fabric on the other) and placed it under the bed sheets under their bottom. That way if they wet the bed, I could toss the sheet, pad and clothes in the wash, and the bed was still dry for the rest of the night.

7. Bribery and rewards work wonders!

I think that's a good summary of what we do. It works for us. I bet others of you have great ideas too! Please share... :-) Maybe one day I can go back to pretending that I live a dignified and refined adult life.... NAAAA. What fun is that? Boys will be boys, and I love them, even if they are rather smelly. :-)

9 comments:

Liz said...

We are on the same page sister! I go straight to underwear too and our underwear were definitely the *disposable* kind...HA... When they were ready my boys trained in just a couple of days..consistency is the key for us...thanks for the post!

Liz said...

Oh I wish we were there...my big guy (turned 2 in July) just isn't ready yet. We talk about it, but we aren't pushing anything...thanks for all the tips!! Hopefully someday - sooner rather than later, I will be able to put your tips to good use :)

Christina said...

Thanks for the tips. I may even talk to my husband about using some (he, being so sensible, is very helpful about stuff like that). ; )

But really, Rachel, was that fourth paragraph really necessary? : }

Audrey said...

I will definitely keep this in mind when I have a little boy someday! (That is if God blesses us with one!)

Beth E. said...

When it's time to teach them to use the bathroom standing up, use Cheerios. I would line up my boys ...and the three others I used to babysit...around the toilet, throw a handful of Cheerios in, and say, "Ready, aim, FIRE!" Worked every time! lol Still do that with hubby sometimes...NOT! hehe

Karen S. said...

Try potty training rewards. It worked great for our son. He loved pushing the audio push button hearing he is a Big Boy and opening a door to find a chocolate surprise. He really became involved. He was peeing and pooping in his potty within a week. I know every child is different, but have a look and see if this would work for you. wwwpottytrainingrewards.com

keeper of the chocolates said...

awesome post!! i am in the process of potty training my emma, last one..:( oh man.

at this point, i am killing 2 birds with one stone, and we are learning our colors each time we pee....yes, with m&m's! hehe.

oh yeah...!

My Goodness said...

Great! Thank you to you...and your readers...for the great tips. I'll be printing this out quick reference! :)

signed,

Sick of Diapers

Thanks, Tina

savvymomdotca said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I have two boys, aged 2 and 6, and let me tell you, I'm not looking forward to potty training the little one (he's not ready yet anyway), since his brother was difficult.

One tip to add to your excellent list is to get green, reusable diapers in the meantime. So if you toss them you won't feel bad.

Here's a review of the place where I got mine: http://www.sharesavvy.ca/cities/vancouver/reviews/741

Take care,
Christina