Sunday, November 2, 2008

Definition of Insanity...

Have you ever heard this one?

Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

This was a regular sight around my home when our first was born: The baby would start crying. It was hubby's turn to get him to settle down. So he would pick the baby up and start rocking. Wah! Continue rocking. More crying. More rocking. Time passes.... I still hear crying (and now a strange "echo" sobbing that sounds eerily like my husband) so I peek into the baby's room. Wah! Wah! Waaaaah! Daddy - frantic, still rocking our now red-faced baby - "Shhhh, shhhhhhhhhh. He won't stop crying!!" Me - "Is he hungry?" Rocking stops. "Oh."

How about this?:

"Honey!! I can't find my ______ (insert item here that was needed like 10 minutes ago for us to be able to get to church on time... lets say, pants (my husband only has one pair of dress pants). Me - "They're hanging in our closet!" Hubby - "No, they're not! I've been looking and looking for 10 minutes now!" I walk into the bedroom, to see him, indeed, looking into the closet. Looking intently INTO THE CLOSET. So I part two sweaters (you know, actually moving an item aside) to reveal the hidden pants. "Oh."

I've got a million of them.

Hee hee. But I guess I'm not completely innocent here either. I keep asking myself at 9 o'clock every morning why I never seem to have enough time to get the kids to their classrooms before the bell. And then I faithfully re-set my alarm clock, and just as faithfully the next morning, hit the snooze button until there is no time left to etc, etc... you get the picture.

I was thinking about this tonight because since I became a Christian 6 years ago, I have desired to become more and more like Jesus, and have found myself feeling guilty every evening for failing in this regard... failing to trust Him, failing to believe Him, failing to do whatever it is my heart knew I should have done that day.

BUT THEN, I fall into bed apologizing to God for being too tired to pray and read my bible (and if you read the story above, you know I don't have time in the mornings... sheesh!). But if I really think about it (and it's not hard), I found the time and energy to BLOG, read a book, and to eat a bowl of Doritos with salsa/sour cream/cheddar dip (yummmmm - why can't I lose the baby weight already?) while watching a favourite show. "Oh."

"Oh!"

There it is... the light goes on! Soooooo I'm blogging this (when I should be reading my bible) to CONFESS my sin, because guess what? He is faithful and just to forgive my sin. And the coolest thing is that the bible says that CHRIST is the One who changes me... who works in my heart to make me like Him. Amen! Now - I just need to co-operate! "Ohhhhhhhh....." Yep, there it is. :-)

5 comments:

Beth E. said...

How true! Great post...I had to chuckle at the stories of your husband...too funny!

I, too, need to be more disciplined in my time with the Lord.

everyday mom said...

I have to confess to this one as well, I am bad bad bad at praying and studying the word. I was just thinking today that I need to put a time in my schedule and that will hopefully help. Thanks for the reminder again.

mommaof4wife2r said...

i completely agree...just had one of those moments last week. and...can i say that i htink our hubbies are kindred spirits...but mine is still doing it on baby #4! he's a fab dad...the best...but gets stressed with the crying...can handle anything else though!!

Liz said...

I think it is a pre-req, to become a husband you can't know how to move things out of the way to "look" for things.

In my 100th post celebration I posted a link to your blog - hope you like it!!

kay said...

What an awesome post, and so true! You certainly have a way with words.