Saturday, November 15, 2008

Black, Red and White

Hands up TV watchers! Tell me, what's your favourite show?? I can't tell you mine 'cuz I don't watch tv. We cancelled our cable 10 years ago. I wish I could tell you that it was for some noble reason like standing-up-for-morality-in-a-less-than-moral-world... but I can't. I wasn't even a Christian at that time. I was just sick of the noise, and hubby was sick of paying for the noise. :-)

I will admit there are some awesome things on TV, like Columbo reruns and.... um... oh yeah, old movies. Love the silver screen. Great stories and no obsenities. "And I felt His voice take the sword out of my hand..." I'm saying this in my best Judah Ben Hur voice. Sounds more like a sick frog. LOL.

Anyhoo...

Oh yes, back to my point! I was getting somewhere, really. We found instantly that there were many benefits to giving up tv:
1. More time.
2. More time.
3. More time.

Seriously, we didn't know what to do with ourselves! We spent so much time vegging in front of the tube that we went into shock (not literally - well, maybe a bit) when it was gone, and we suddenly had FREE time.

So we took up chess.

That is the most infuriating game.... my hubby ALWAYS beat me. Grrr. Could be because he suddenly got all excited about the game and was reading books and joining chess clubs like the lovable nerd that he is. :-) That lasted about 6 months.

And we took up talking to each other (gasp! imagine!), exercising, reading, and listening to the radio. And I am so thankful. It was through listening to the radio that we heard the gospel and were saved! PRAISE GOD!!!

Sooo... on to my point (I told you, I'm getting there - sheesh). Reading is fun! And I'd like to recommend Ted Dekker to all of you other stay-at-home-parents with nothing to do but play board games and watch each other pick your noses (this does happen in my house - i have four boys remember? sigh). Look for the Circle Trilogy - Black, Red, and White. What AWESOME books.... Its been 10 years that I've had no tv, and I've read a LOT, but nothing comes close to these books. They are my all time fav.! Please get them and read them! Click here to find out where you can order them.

What?

I know... that was a long way to go to get to that point. Sorry. Hehe. But don't you feel enlightened now? :-)

3 comments:

Maggie said...

Over the last six months or so, we have gotten away from the TV. Mostly because we are just too busy nowadays to actually get the chance to sit down and watch it anyway. I had lots of favorite shows, but I'm like you, I don't miss it that much. I love the peace and quiet in the house (who am I kidding, that only happens when Jonah is down for a nap, LOL). Seriously, though, if the TV is on at all, it's on Sprout for Jonah or it's a movie that we've put on or ordered through On Demand to watch as a family. It is nice not having it on all the time and I get alot more done w/o it!! =)

I don't do much reading for entertainment purposes, but those books sound awesome!

Liz said...

Thanks for the book suggestion I am always looking for a new book...my husband and I have tried chess too, but I don't really even understand the game, so of course he always wins...I do beat him at Scrabble though..Now I'm gonna go watch some booger picking...have a great weekend!

Mel said...

I absolutely LOVE Ted Dekker! I started with his book Thr3e because they'd turned it into a movie and I always try to read the book first when there is one (funny enough, I never got to see the movie...) I did find a great new author though! And when I started reading The Circle Trilogy, it was just because I wanted something new to read (or so I thought.) But I happened to finish reading the last book just 2 days before getting Baptized! (Isn't God funny?!)