Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"White stuff" and what to do about it.

I decided that I needed to get off my buttocks today and get a little exercise, so I bundled up for a walk to the store. It was a beautiful and crisp evening. :) I couldn't help but appreciate the fall flowers, the crunching leaves, the white fluffy stuff floating around my head, and the auburn sun setting against a dramatic sky. Ahhhh.

Wait a minute...

White fluffy stuff? Floating around my head??

Isn't it a little late in the season for dandelion seeds? No, it can't be that... Gasp!! Dandruff! I have dandruff! Quick! Walk faster! I need a big bottle of Selsun Bl... oh hang on. My hat is on. It's not me. PHEW. Hmmm....

Then what is....?? Agh! SNOW! Sneaky little snowflakes silently puffing their way to the ground... dancing on the wind... taunting me! Upon closer inspection, I'm pretty sure I saw a little pink spot protruding from the flake stuck on my mitten - a tongue! I knew it! The little frosties are laughing at me! Grrr...

When I finally stopped sobbing in the street (and stomping on all of the tiny white offenders I could find...) I had to accept the truth. I guess it's that time again. Time to HIBERNATE.

But since we as mothers couldn't possibly do that, I guess we have some work to do:
- bringing out the winter clothes
- putting away the summer clothes
- making sure the family wagon (car) is equipped with all fluids, ice scrapers, etc.
- booking plans for a 6 month vacation in Hawaii (ROFLMAO - if you are seriously doing this, don't talk to me. I have nothing to say to you.)

These are all obvious winter-preparedness items, but I have a list of extra-special-survival-of-the-fattest(I mean smartest)-DIAMOND PLUS winter tips! Ready?

1. Put hand cream in your purse (to prevent 'diaper-changing, always washing "alligator winter hands"').
2. Give each and every member of the household their own "chapstick" (I keep about 10 extras
in my purse - for when they inevitably lose theirs and want to wipe their slimy snot-covered lips on mine. ew.)
3. Buy 5 of the exact same colour pairs of mittens to hand out in times of crisis.
4. Buy 100 pairs of socks all the same colour (to avoid losing your luscious winter locks pulling out your hair looking for the missing matches) and throw them in a free-for-all bucket in a
closet (and keep an extra pair in your purse).
5. Buy a bigger purse. Ok, maybe a knapsack.

Anybody want to add to the list? I need all the help I can get. I keep hearing that actually... "Rachel, you need help." Hmmm...

Happy trails! :D

15 comments:

Liz said...

Great tips!!! I can't believe the snowy season is upon us, and I can't decide if I am happy about that or not.

Christina said...

I had the same thing happen to me today! I was outside and suddenly I see white flakes...winter in New England. *sigh* Luckily there were barely any flakes and they left as quickly as they came!

aussie gardening in America said...

I love snow and I grew up on the beaches of Australia, maybe I am the weird one:)

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

I wish I had tips, but living in South Central Texas I have no advice. We have had snow 2 times in 2 years! That is an amazing thing for us!!

Christina said...

Safety pin a length of heavy-duty string (or something more creative) onto the mittens, then run the string through little coat sleeves. It helps avoid those lost mittens.

Our weather has had highs in the 60's (farenheit) the last couple of days. :p Oh, wait, we got about four inches of snow a couple weeks ago...guess I don't have any bragging rights. ; )

mommaof4wife2r said...

i really needed hand cream today! how did you know!?!

Audrey said...

It's snowing already?!?!? I can't believe it! These are great tips for a mommy! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely keep them in mind!!!

Beth E. said...

Keep some extra kids blankets in your car, to help everyone stay warm until the car's heater kicks in...keep an extra blanket in the car for YOU, too. If you have car trouble or get stuck in the snow, you'll be able to keep warm.

I still keep an old baby blanket in our car, and use it as a lap blanket for me. Hubby likes to keep the car's temp cool when he's driving. Brrr! A nice thermos of hot coffee helps, too! :o)

Michelle said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Both your blogs are really cute. Love the pictures of your baby and husband on your other blog.

I can't believe it is snowing anywhere. We had temps in the low 80's today! In fact it is almost 8:30 and I am sitting with all the windows and doors open!!

Genny said...

Snow?! It was almost 85 degrees where I live today. Snow sounds fun!

Tina Leigh said...

Oh my you have a wonderful sense of humor! Thanks for visiting my blog by the way. Cant believe you are looking at snow already! Come down here and help us during pecan harvest and you will sweat your butt off! I cant imagine your cold life (that didnt sound just right)...my grandparents live in Maine....It has always been hard for me to grasp what yall go thru...it just doesnt seem possible! Burr....I feel for ya, really I do!

ali said...

The cooler drier air has finally made it here and my hands are evidence of that! I need to stock up on lotion!

Maggie said...

I love the snow, as long as I'm warm and cozy on the INSIDE watching it from the window. LOL

I always have issues with static... I would add to the list, put a ziploc bag of a couple of dryer sheets in my purse, or buy some static gaurd spray. I don't care for the smell of that spray, so I just throw some dryer sheets in my pocket. When my hair is standing on end and I'm shocking everyone in sight, I pull them out and give myself a rub down. LOL

Maggie said...

You've been BOO'd!! =)

BTW, I watched your iTube video at the bottom of your blog today and I was laughing histerically!! LOL

My Goodness said...

Wow...we totally don't have to deal with such cold weather here. It gets cold, but it's a big deal if we get one snow a year. I can't imagine what you have to endure!!

And amen on the chapstick! lol