Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Perfect mom confesses - and begs for mercy...

Perfect moms do all things perfectly, including break down. I figure I must be pretty close to perfection based on this fact alone.

I got the dreaded phone call today. You know the one, "Mrs. So-and-so, please come and pick up your son from school. He's sick (and we don't want to catch it)."

I immediately stopped my poetic reading of the scriptures to my two youngest angels, quickly cleaned up the stimulating and educational craft we had been working on, and held off on putting the next loaf of fresh delicious bread into the oven.

I swear it went something like that....

"Oh! Ummm... yes. Right. I'll be at the school right away, like in 20 minutes or something. Yes, very soon." I stammered, as panic welled up in my throat. First thought, honestly? Groan... I hope all the other kids don't get it. Or worse, my husband.

Pause.

GUILT.

I quickly brushed my hair (first time today at 2 o'clock in the afternoon), put clothes back on the wild toddlers, stopped thinking about the fresh bread I should have been baking and picked my poor boy up from school.

Aww :( He was sleeping, throwing up and generally feeling rotten... and I gave him a hug. Now I'll probably get it too (this relieves some guilt and helps me not to worry about becoming contaminated with germs as I care for him - after all, I already hugged him).

Do you believe that I can even think this way?

MORE GUILT.

Basically I am a PERFECTLY imperfect mother. But I had a revelation this week! Remember when the disciples, tired and worn out, fell asleep while Jesus was praying to the Father in the garden of Gethsemane? He told them to WATCH and PRAY so that they wouldn't fall into temptation. It suddenly occurred to me that He wouldn't have told them to pray unless God was willing and able to save them from temptation! WOW.

So lets get back to me (my fav. subject it seems). I have spent the week praying specifically for help with the temptations that are real daily challenges to me - like negative thoughts (I'm still healing from an awful round of PPD), laziness, putting myself above the children (blogger seems particularly enticing when dirty diapers are around for some reason), jealousy (ugh), resentment (double ugh), and self-pity (eee - now things are really getting ugly).

"And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." <--- I didn't write that part. That's from 1 Corinthians 10:13. Memorize it ladies! It is not by any wonderful thing that we do that anything goes well (I know, I can't believe it either), but by GOD's GRACE.

LEAN LEAN LEAN on Him.

Great! Lesson learned ;-).

I went through my notebook today and I have SO many things written there to blog about and so little time, so I shall include for you a daily tip! (yay.) Here you go.. no charge:
  • DO NOT share towels with anyone during flu season. This includes (especially) hand towels. Trust me, buy hooks and hang a towel of a different colour for each person in your family. You can't trust kids to clean their (boogery) hands properly. I have watched my son's hands go under the faucet the same colour that they came out - DIRT BROWN :o

If you enjoyed this tip and all my witty banter, why don't you consider joining the happy ladies who follow my blog? There's a button over there on the right somewhere.. -->

Ok I gotta go. My son is SICK and he needs his loving and caring mother (cue violins). Stop hounding me (the button is on the RIGHT --->) so I can go back to my shameless blog promotion looking after my child.

Thank God for His mercy.......

Oh, and if you don't mind, could you say a prayer for my boy? Thanks. Good night ladies.

1 comment:

Muthering Heights said...

I hope he gets better soon...and here's hoping it doesn't spread!

I had PPD too! It's a lonely road sometimes, but you're not alone! :)