Friday, October 17, 2008

I don't have to make dinner this week.. DO DA!

Woohoo! As you ladies know (if you've been reading), I am a "one-meat" woman. Don't get any strange ideas... I'm talking about grocery shopping and cooking. Sheesh.

I buy my food on Thursdays (payday), and always invest in a big portion of one type of meat. Then on Friday I cook a whole bunch of stuff out of it, freeze it, and voila! Dinners for the week. :-)

Sounds boring? Oh no! Not at all. You see, I buy a different type of meat every week, so I still have ground beef, turkey and chicken ready to use at a moment's notice, which is AWESOME for a person like me who hates planning in advance, dealing with frozen raw meat (yuk) and usually starts dinner about 30 minutes before its time to dine. I love this system!!

This week is HAM. I bought a fully cooked, pre-sliced spiral ham for about $25. And I would like to share my menu with you:

Baked Ham with Mashed Potatoes and Beans
- This is the straight meat dinner with no special preparation because it is fresh (straight out of the store and into my oven). Basically, warm it up, add a side dish and you're good to go.

Ham Quesadillas
- Lay flat a number of large tortillas, add a layer of shredded cheese, followed by layers of diced tomatoes, green onions, strips of ham, etc (whatever you like), add pepper to taste and top with another tortilla. Brush the top with some vegetable oil and bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Remove from pan (to avoid the tortilla softening from any grease), cut into "pizza" slices, and eat or freeze. Yum!

Ham and Broccoli Casserole (approx. measurements - I like to "biggie-size" all my recipes. If I have to cook, I might as well make lots. Less cooking later.)
2 cups of chopped Ham
2-3 cups of frozen broccoli
1/2 cup frozen corn (optional, I usually omit)
1/2 cup frozen peas (optional, I usually omit)
1 cup cooked rice
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup shredded cheddar
chopped onion if desired (1 small)
1/2 cup sour cream
top with bread crumbs
Mix it all together and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or until bubbly. Mmmmm.... just thinking about it make me bubbly :-) Freeze in individual or dinner size portions.

Ham and Cheese Quiche (I double this recipe - pie shells come in twos)
1 Deep dish frozen pie shell
1 1/2 cups chopped ham
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup shredded cheese
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground cloves
(I'm guessing on the spices I use - use whatever you like :))
Mix the ham, broccoli and cheese and fill pie shell. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk and spices. Pour over pie. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until water runs clear when tilted to the side (no milk).

Ham and Split Pea/or Potato Soup
-Google a recipe for this. There are so many ways to make yummy soup. I like to cheat. I buy campbells cream soups and ready-to-pour chicken stock for a base, and I use canned peas, frozen veggies, etc. Boil it all together and enjoy!

Well, that's it for now. I have exhausted all of my bright ideas for tonight! Oh dear, and I still have to update my Bible Babies blog! Good thing I don't have to cook....! Hooray for freezers. :-)

ttyl friends!

3 comments:

Anna Lefler said...

OK, I'm starving now! Your blog is beautiful and peaceful - not enough of that on the Internet, in my opinion...

Thanks for stopping by the 'stache contest and leaving a comment - I really appreciate that!

Take care and have a great weekend!

:^) Anna

Christina said...

I love your idea of cooking all your meat in advance! I might make use of it some time when I'm approaching an extra-busy week. ; )

mommaof4wife2r said...

hey there...so one of the saddest things that ever has happened (not really) in my life is that i became allergic to ham. how does that happen??

i watched ur video...and it's kinda polar opposite of our house...with 4 girls. wow! we have hormones (even w the toddler) and tiara's and lots and lots of tantrums...and boogers too. i know, you thought that was a boy thing, didn't you??