Monday, September 22, 2008

The Purpose of a Schedule

The purpose of a schedule is to enable you (and each person in your family) to fulfill God's plan for you. Its a tool to help you carry out YOUR purpose, your mission, and keep your goals clearly in focus.

With that in mind there are a few things to remember:

1) Before you can make a schedule, you need to seek God and find out what your purpose is... what goals you are working toward. When making your schedule, these are the things that are non-negotiable. If your schedule doesn't move you towards accomplishing your goals, then it is not working, and you are wasting your time.

2) When setting your priorities, keep it simple. Not everything is a priority. In fact, many things that seem to be life-and-death important are really not so important after all. Ask yourself some questions... Will this matter for eternity? What does God think about this?

3) Don't overschedule. Frantic, frenzied daily activity leaves very little room for God, family, and that all-important built in need... REST. Also, a packed schedule makes dealing with the unexpected impossible to do without becoming stressed out, because there is no room for flexibility.

4) MOMS - learn to DELEGATE. You are not supermom, as much as we all want to be ;). God doesn't want supermoms... He wants moms dependent on Him. It is our responsibility to teach our family members new skills, and how to take responsibility for themselves. We don't actually help by doing everything. I've learned that my husband actually CAN run a washing machine.... I had no idea... from the way that he used to break out in a cold sweat and hives, I thought he was allergic to the thing!!!!

5) Make it simple, leave room... trust me, it will fill up. Take time to revisit your schedule frequently, to assess how its working and see how effective it is at moving you toward your goals.

Over the next little while, I am going to be writing about the specific steps to take in creating an effective schedule. Stay tuned.... I'm all aflutter! Fun FUN FUN!!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Okay, I'm trying very hard to follow this scheduling thing. I'm all for a schedule and want to jump in but I'm trying to put together:

Life's Purpose
Clean up List
Schedule

I'm not understanding how they fit together.

I'm thinking my Life's Purpose is to love my husband, keep a nice home for my family (including healthy meals), and raise my son to be a responsible man who loves the Lord (quite lofty as right now I'm just waiting for him to figure out how to crawl).

So what does going room to room organizing and cleaning have to do with that exactly and do you make a schedule every day or... what?? And is the clean up list room-by-room the schedule?