Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Clutter Busters!

How is it going with your room by room lists? For those of you now joining us, we are making a chore list for each room in our home. While we are still thinking about that, I'd like us to consider busting those cluttered areas and reducing our housework!

I call them "cluttered areas"... My husband calls them "rats nests" (this drives me nuts by the way) but by whatever name, they are those places in your house that you are always trying to keep clean (or always trying to avoid, depending on how bad they are).

For example: the front hallway is always a mess of coats, shoes and school bags jumbled in a heap on the floor.
Who do we call? CLUTTER BUSTERS!
And what do they recommend? A coat rack or set of hooks on the wall, and a shoe mat or cart underneath. Actually, I use a bench that has a lift-up seat and throw all our shoes in there. It looks nice and provides a handy place to sit and put your shoes on. :)

Another example: the kitchen counter is always a mess of papers, pens, books, mail and other assorted "stuff" that gets thrown there throughout the day.
Who do we call? CLUTTER BUSTERS!
And what do they recommend? A nice big letter sorter placed RIGHT THERE, with a recycling bin on the floor RIGHT NEXT TO IT. It doesn't have to be ugly. You can use baskets like I do, or buy a small kitchen desk/table with drawers just for this purpose. **Place a pretty flower arrangement and coasters on top to deter people from moving the "nest" over there.
The purpose of all of this of course is to make housework easier and to spend less time doing it.

HOMEWORK: **Lets go back to each room in our house, equipped with out chore lists, and look for cluttered areas that can use a clutter buster creative solution.**

Maybe it'll be a pretty laundry basket right where your kids (or husband) like to toss their dirty clothes, or perhaps a photo storage cabinet for the box of pictures you can never get to (found a really nice one at Cosco last week), and don't be afraid to use more cabinets, drawers, buckets, baskets, etc everywhere!!! Ikea is good for ideas, but I've also found Canadian Tire to have a good selection of storage options.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need a specific idea, send me a comment or an email. I'd love to help! Next we'll be moving on to STEP 2! Yay! And by the way, give yourself a pat on the back and send up a prayer of thanks to God for helping us to get started. We need all the help we can get! And where does our help come from? Our help comes from the LORD - Psalm 121.

We're on our way.... TTYL!

1 comment:

Muthering Heights said...

I like your baskets...I have the same ones in my office!

As for the detergent, I think you can use it in any washer...