Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Arts and Craft Stuff...

I highly recommend a piece of furniture dedicated to just arts and craft stuff for anyone with children. I bought this great chest with basket-drawers yesterday at Wal-Mart for $129. If you are in the market for something a little cheaper, there are all sorts of white or colourful plastic drawer towers available at department stores.

Tonight I will make labels for each drawer to make clean-up a snap. Groupings may include:
- Pencils, Pens, Erasers and Sharpeners
- Markers, Crayons, Glue Sticks and Scissors
- Colouring Books, Work Books and Sticker Books
- Construction Paper and Scrap Paper (I put a small carboard box in a drawer to handle the re-usable scraps)
- Piper Cleaners, Pom Poms, Beads, etc.

Have fun and be creative! If you have very young children, I suggest making "picture" labels, so that they can still clean up, and take ownership of their new station. Entice them and make it INVITING... maybe place some interesting art books on top, and hang a cork or magnetic board nearby for their projects to be displayed.

Place the unit next to a blue recycling box and a child size table over an easy wipe mat - and voila! ...you're in business! I set this up today and within a half an hour I had a brand new collection of murals for my refrigerator collection. :-)

And as an added bonus.... I have now unearthed several acres of new carpet in my home that were previously buried under many layers of "stuff". Woohoo!

No comments: